Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday blog: Stevie Smith's cats





It suddenly struck me that today is Halloween, and it might be nice to do something seasonal.  So, instead of the lovely mini-anthology of Snooki quotations I’d planned, here’s one of my favorite Stevie Smith poems. 

Stevie loved reading her poetry aloud; she would sing it and act it out.  It would have been great fun to see her recite this one.

MY CATS

I like to toss him up and down
A heavy cat weighs half a Crown
With a hey do diddle my cat Brown.

I like to pinch him on the sly
When nobody is passing by
With a hey do diddle my cat Fry.

I like to ruffle up his pride
And watch him skip and turn aside
With a hey do diddle my cat Hyde.

Hey Brown and Fry and Hyde my cats
That sit on tombstones for your mats.




No comments:

Post a Comment