Total Pageviews

Friday, April 13, 2012

The death of Mike Wallace

220px-mike_wallace_interviews_1957_4


Mike Wallace died this past weekend.  Andy Rooney (of the unruly eyebrows) died last November.

 

 

The old CBS brigade is beginning to fade away.

 

 

A few of the ancients are still alive.  Charles Osgood (age 79) still anchors “CBS Sunday Morning.”  Morley Safer (age 80) is still around, I think.  Bob Schieffer  (age 75) still hosts “Face the Nation,” also on Sunday mornings; he’s wonderful, but he seems to be getting a big weaker over the past few years.  The wonderful Bill Geist (a mere baby at age 66) is still going strong. 

 

 

But still!

 

 

CBS – journalistically, anyway – is an octogenarian’s network.  Look at the list above!  They’re old!  There are a few younger correspondents – the lamentable Steve Hartman, for example, with his mournful insincere face – but they’re the exception.  (And Steve Hartman, let’s face it, is just a feeble Charles Kuralt wannabe.)

 

 

Listen, don’t get me wrong.  I don’t mind old.  I’m getting there myself.  I’m fifty-four going on fifty-five, with sciatica and kidney stones.  I understand the demographic, and the concerns.

 

 

But even I become impatient with CBS’s news division when they explain the “Internet” to me as if it’s a strange new concept, or “Whole Foods,” or “Cyndi Lauper.”

 

 

I’ve said before that CBS is the geezer network.

 

 

I thought I was exaggerating.

 

 

I was wrong.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment