Total Pageviews

Friday, June 15, 2012

Etsy

Etsy


Etsy is an interesting website on which craftsy people sell craftsy things: soap, jewelry, clothing, ceramics, jewelry, homegrown herbs, jewelry.

 

 

I like that the Internet has brought back a kind of corner-store mentality to the world.  I like seeing that people are making artisanal candles and selling them on the Web.

 

 

I only wish those craftsy people were getting rich. 

 

 

But most of them are not.

 

 

Back in the faraway 1990s, I used to sell lots of stuff on eBay: vintage phonograph records, books, memorabilia.  It did not make me rich, and it was often a pain in the keester.  Finally I gave it up.

 

 

A eFriend of mine crafts beautiful little accessory items and sells them on Etsy.  She spends hours making the items, and more hours photographing / describing / posting them.  She is not yet independently wealthy, however.  (Do yourself a favor and check out her things.  They are very pretty.  I myself have purchased two of her handcrafted necklaces, to give as gifts, and they were both very pretty.)

 

 

One of the other things I like about Etsy is that, when you join, it gives you a “taste test,” to see what kinds of things you like.  Kind of like being at the optician: this, or this? Except that it’s: chair, or necklace?  Pottery, or scarf?

 

 

Afterward, it gives you a list of things you might like.

 

 

The first time I took it, it recommended two basic categories of things to me: French Provincial furniture, and silver skull jewelry.

 

 

Go figure.

 

 

The Etsy algorithm knows my inner soul!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment