Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gay cartoon characters I have known

Snagglepuss


Gay.com recently did a little piece on the gayest cartoon characters of the past fifty years. They picked up on the recent cartoons, of course – Stewie Griffin, Mister Smithers, Roger the alien on “American Dad.”  But they found quite a few in older cartoons too.

 

 

In hindsight: how can we not have known?

 

 

For example:

 

 

Snagglepuss. He's a pink mountain lion, for God's sake.  And he thinks he's an actor. He reminds me of a lot of people I know.

 

 

Several of the Transformers. Especially Starscream, an ineffectual villain with a high shrieky voice. He reminds me of a lot of people I know.

 

 

Several GI Joe heroes and villains. Doctor Mindbender, who mostly dresses in torn leather. Cobra Commander, who camps it up so much he's liable to burst into flames. Gung-Ho, the huge Marine with the tattoos and the torn flannel. Shipwreck, the Jack Nicholson sailor with the chronically unbuttoned shirt.  Collectively they remind me of so many people I know.

 

 

Peppermint Patty. And Marcy too, I suppose, although they both seem to pine after Charlie Brown.

 

 

Vanity Smurf.  This one hits especially close to home.  For me it's like looking into a mirror.

 

Theatrical, stylish, evil.  And always entertaining.

 

Once again: how could we not have known?

 


 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment