Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Six degrees of Victor Garber

Victorgarbergay


There used to be a TV show called “Connections.” The host would demonstrate that Newton's laws of motion led to the invention of the lava lamp, or the microwave oven, or the Post-It note, through elaborate Kevin-Bacon-type relationships through time and space.

 

 

I call it “serendipity,” which is (I think) nicer.

 

 

The other night I was watching “Godspell,” which I had never seen before. A trifle goofy, and I liked Judas more than I liked Jesus, but that was okay. Then a bell rang in my head about the cast listings. Jesus was played by Victor Garber.

 

 

Victor Garber??

 

 

You know him from a hundred things. Maybe as one of the ship's designers in “Titanic.” Maybe as Jennifer Garner's father in “Alias.” Myself, I immediately think of his “Will and Grace” appearance as a classically-trained actor whose best-known role is a cartoon devil advertising cereal on TV. “It's sinfully delicious!”

 

 

So now I'm watching “Godspell” and browsing the Net on my laptop, catching up on Victor's career. He's very nice-looking, of course. I discover that he officiated at the wedding of Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck, which is pretty adorable.

 

 

Then I see a picture of him at the Affleck/Garner wedding with his partner, Rainer Andreesen, who just happens to be an artist, with an estimable website showing off his work. And he uses Victor as a model sometimes, and wouldn't you do the same, if you had such a handsome man around the house?

 

 

I ended my search with a smile on my face. I started with a Jesus in 1973 clown makeup, and I end up with a mature, successful, happy-looking gay couple in 2011.

 

 

Now that's what I call “serendipity.”

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment