Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bananaland

113009_2238_bananalandc1


I discovered a nice sansevieria plant in the garbage at work recently.  I rescued it and repotted it and put it in my window; then I looked online to see how best to take care of it.  On one particular website I found these two gems: “Likes bright sunlight,” and “Keep out of bright sunlight.”

 

 

Welcome to Bananaland.

 

 

I first learned about Bananaland from my friend Joanne, when we were both in graduate school.  She was doing philosophy, I was doing Italian literature.  “What did you cover today?” I asked her one day.

 

 

“Well,” she said, “we learned about Bananaland.”

 

 

“Do tell,” I said.

 

 

“In Bananaland,” she said, “two things are true: ‘all chairs are green’ and ‘no chairs are green.’”

 

 

“Are there no chairs at all?” I asked, puzzled.

 

 

“No,” she said.  “That’s the thing.  It’s possible to have two statements that clash with one another.”  She grimaced.  “It’s a paradox.”

 

 

It happens almost every day.  Sometimes I see a store with both an OPEN and CLOSED signs displayed, and think: Welcome to Bananaland.  How about at the supermarket?  One salad dressing for $1.79, two for $4.99.  How about street signs?  Those are the commonest Bananaland combos of all: MERGE and DO NOT ENTER on the same signpost, or NO PARKING and PARKING 6:00AM – 9:00PM ONLY. 

 

 

In Bananaland, everything is permitted without argument.  You can be blonde and brunette at the same time, tall and short, fat and skinny. 

 

 

I think the entire crazy world may be Bananaland.

 

 

It’s a lot of fun, actually.

 

 

The sansevieria is thriving in my office window, by the way.  I’m giving it a lot of direct indirect light, and watering it frequently once a week. 

 

 

I expect a nice crop of bananas any day now.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment