Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 2, 2012

For Groundhog Day: Richard Eberhart's "The Groundhog," performed by college students

Richard_eberhart


What to give you for Groundhog Day?  I wanted very much to share a clip of Rudy Vallee and Robert Morse singing the “Groundhog Song” from the movie version of “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying,” but all I could find on YouTube were audio recordings of Rudy and Robert, and tons of really awful college / neighborhood productions of the same. 

 

 

So nerts to that.

 

 

Then, by chance, up floated another idea.

 

 

I met Richard Eberhart at a poetry reading in the 1980s, and shook his hand, and told him how much I loved this poem, and he smiled and thanked me. 

 

 

I still love it. 

 

 

Below is a link to a video of a group of (I assume) college kids, somewhere, reading the poem (badly) and acting it out and generally murdering it.  Imagine!  The best poem ever written about a dead groundhog!

 

 

I like to think that Eberhart (who died in 2005) would have enjoyed it.

 

 

Happy Groundhog Day.

 

 

(Postscript: if you want to read the poem as it was actually written, try this link.)

 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment