Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mother Nature

Mothernature

I have a coworker named Amelia.  I have already stolen one of her stories for this blog.  I will not hesitate to steal another.

 

 

Her little boy, around four years old, said recently: “Mamma, it’s winter.  Why is there no snow?”

 

 

She said: “Well, it’s winter, but there’s not always snow.  Sometimes it snows and sometimes it doesn’t.”

 

 

He asked: “What makes it snow?”

 

 

She was very encouraged by this; this was a scientist’s question.  “Lots of things,” she said.  “Mother Nature uses all kinds of things: moisture, cold air – “

 

 

“Where does Mother Nature live?” he interrupted her.

 

 

Uh-oh, she thought. “Well, there’s not really – “ she began.

 

 

“Is she old?” the child said. “Does she sit in a rocking chair?”

 

 

(At this point in the story, I said: “Amelia, the correct answer to these questions is ‘Yes.’”)

 

 

(“I know,” she sighed.  “But I was still trying to explain –“)

 

 

This parenting thing is evidently very difficult.

 

 

Thank god I only have stuffed animals to worry about.  They believe whatever I tell them.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment