Total Pageviews

Friday, December 7, 2012

Chris Matthews: our very own left-wing babbling idiot

Chris_matthews


I’ve written before about right-wing radio and TV hosts whose political rantings drive me up the wall. I know I’ve mentioned Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh.

 

 

Want to know a surprise? We have a few idiots like that on the left too.

 

 

I like to watch Chris Matthews’s show “Hardball.” His guests are often interesting, and Chris’s politics are close to mine, so I find him easy to watch.

 

 

But, kids, Chris is often unbearable.

 

 

He’s loud and rude. He asks his guests endless “questions” which aren’t questions at all, but long speeches; then, if his guests speak for more than fifteen seconds, he cuts them off. His comments are often pointless. He repeats himself endlessly. He’s very self-congratulatory: recently, when a guest referenced a movie, Matthews cut him/her off to go on and on about the movie, and how he liked it. Who cares, Chris?

 

 

On a recent show, Chris presented Kegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, co-writers and performers on their own show, “Key and Peele,” who do a very funny Obama routine: Peele as the cool rational Obama, Key as his “anger translator” Luther. It was meant to be a friendly encounter, but Chris kept messing up. He called Obama “cool,” which – coming from an aging white man – sounds like an adjective you’d apply to Miles Davis. He kept referencing the fact that both Key and Peele are biracial, like President Obama, and saying that this enabled them to say things other people can’t say.  Really

 

 

But the worst moment came when Chris asked Key about his routines about football players with funny names. “Well,” Key said (I paraphrase), “lots of people were given funny names, because their mothers wanted to give them unique names. I’ve got a funny name. And you got it wrong, Chris, when you called me Michael. But that’s okay, because my parents gave me a funny name.”

 

 

Chris suddenly realized that he was being called out – which he hates – and blustered back: “Why? What did I call you?”

 

 

“Michael,” Key replied calmly.

 

 

“And what should I have called you?” Chris bellowed defiantly.

 

 

“Well, my family calls me Kegan,” Key said, still calmly.

 

 

Chris made drowning noises for a few seconds, then calmed down.

 

 

Chris, as a Democrat, was trying to be down with the homies, you see. Except that he had no idea what he was doing, or what he was saying.

 

 

Ah well.

 

 

At least he’s not as bad as Rush, or Glenn, or Sean Hannity.

 

 

(Sigh.)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment