Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Annette!

Annette-funicello-posters-237x300


I used to wear my Mousketeer ears (brought back from Disneyland by my brother and sister-in-law, with my name embroidered on them) and watch “The Mickey Mouse Club.” I was terribly in love with Annette. I knew she was too old for me (I was around six at the time), but I didn't care. She was beautiful.

 

 

She and I stayed close during her Beach Party years, though I never really understood what she saw in Frankie Avalon. Or in Dwayne Hickman, for that matter.

 

 

We lost touch for a while in the 1970s and 1980s. We were both seeing other people.

 

 

Back in the 1990s came the sad news that she had multiple sclerosis. Tough as ever, though, she made “Back to the Beach” with Frankie and with Connie Stevens, and I fell in love all over again.

 

 

Now, a few days ago, comes word that her house in Encino has burned down. But she's okay.

 

 

Annette: if you need a place to stay while your house is being rebuilt, let me know. We’d be happy to put you up.

 

 

And just so you know: I still have my Mickey Mouse ears.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment