Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Little gorgeous things

Pink_jewel_flowers

In an episode of “Absolutely Fabulous,” Edina and Patsy go to New York. “Shopping, Eddie!” Patsy growls. “I'm going to do some real shopping!”


“Shopping for what?” Edina asks.


“Just – things!” Patsy replies. “Little gorgeous things!”


I recently bought an e-reader. You cannot read an e-reader in the dark, so you need a booklight. I bought a purple one, with a big garish psychedelic peace sign on it.


It is a little gorgeous thing.


Last summer, my friend Sylvia presented me with a birthday gift, which she'd bought at a RISD yard sale: a little flipbook of Chuck Close's face. “I knew when I saw this,” she said, “that you'd get a kick out of it.”


She knows I like little gorgeous things.


Apollonia, my office nemesis, has the Gorgeous Things virus too. She is the only person I know who owns a miniature vase pinned to her lapel, in which she keeps fresh flowers! I ask you! (This is not, by the way, a tussy-mussy. A tussy-mussy is something quite different.  Please do not confuse this with a tussy-mussy.)


Partner gave me, several years ago, two matching rings: one with a ruby (my birthstone) set in white diamonds and yellow gold; the other with a beautiful black diamond identically set with white diamonds and white gold. The carbonado diamond was getting dangerously loose, so I took it to my favorite jeweler in Providence last, a tall handsome jovial man in a tiny downtown shop. He prodded the diamond with interest. “What stone is this?”


“Diamond,” I said. “Black diamond.”


I saw a little quiver go through him. And I knew what it meant: he wanted my black diamond.


I left it with him for repair.


I'd better get it back.



No comments:

Post a Comment