Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rapturous

Rapture_copy


In case you haven't heard, today is the end of the world. Or at least the beginning of the end of the world.

 

 

You see, people love playing with Biblical prophecy and calendars and such, to predict the End of Days.  (Back when I was in high school, a Jehovah's Witness friend very solemnly informed me that “something big” would happen in 1978. I guess, in hindsight, he must have meant my college graduation.)

 

 

So this guy, Harold Egbert Camping, has determined that today - Saturday, May 21, 2011 - is The Day. The faithful – the truly faithful, not me and not you, obviously – will be caught up into heaven today.

 

 

I've scheduled this blog to post at 6:00 am Eastern Daylight Time, so it may already have happened.

 

 

I know three things that are probably true:


 

  • If it does happen, it probably won't happen to me. I don't think Jesus likes me very much.

  • It probably won't happen, because people can't predict it, according to the Bible!: “No man knows that hour, not even the angels in heaven – not even the Son! - but only the Father.” (And a big nyeah-nyeah! to H. E. Camping on this one.)

  • It probably won't happen at all, because it's highly unlikely to begin with.

 

 

And if you're reading this, one of two things is true:

 

 

  • It happened, and you weren't taken up into heaven;

  • It didn't happen.

 

 

Last week, walking back to the office from lunch, I saw some big trucks parked in front of a big Providence nightclub, all covered with illustrations of the Earth exploding, etc., and legends like: THE RAPTURE IS COMING! MAY 21 2011! ARE YOU READY?

 

 

Hm.

 

 

Hm, hm, hm.

 

 

See you tomorrow.

 

 

(Although: wouldn't it be a hoot if this were all true? . . . )

 

 

(Nah.)

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment