Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I am Ganesha, the remover of obstacles

Dancing-ganesha1


Kids love to play superhero games, like: If you were a superhero, who would you be?

 

 

Well, speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to be any of them.  They have to wear tights and capes and things and fly around and save people.  What a nuisance!.  It would be more fun, I think, to be maybe an Egyptian or Indian or Chinese deity: you'd get to wear a lot of jewelry, in addition to dancing and playing the flute and riding your peacock and smiting people.

 

 

So let's rephrase the question: If you were a mythological character – any mythological character – who would you be?

 

 

No question for me. I would be Ganesha.

 

 

Dear elephant-headed Ganesha, the Lord of Beginnings and Remover of Obstacles.

 

 

I remember when I was in grade school, I couldn't open my locker. I was in tears. Mister Glass, the tall crewcutted threatening-looking assistant principal, approached me, asked me in clipped tones for my combination, and in short order opened my locker for me, while I watched, slack-jawed.

 

 

But apparently, he passed some magical power to me. And, ever since, I've found that I can pull off the same trick.

 

 

Can't open a package? Just let me! Door sticking? Doesn't stick when I open it! Computer isn't acting right? Gee, it's fine when I use it!

 

 

It is little short of miraculous. Correction: I am little short of miraculous.

 

 

The other day at work, a co-worker came to see if I had the key to a locked closet. “No,” I said. “That's padlocked, and they never gave me the key for it. But you never know.”

 

 

I rose from my desk, secure in my power, and glided down the hallway, with him (awestruck) in my wake. We got to the closet, and I touched the padlock -

 

 

And it lifted away. It wasn't even locked.

 

 

I am Ganesha, the remover of obstacles.

 

 

Pray to me at the beginning of your endeavors, and I will bless them.

 

 

I am also partial to sweets, so the occasional box of chocolates, or even a Snickers bar, couldn't hurt.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment