Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A nice aimless story

Wally_cox


Partner and I were in Stop & Shop before Halloween.  He was in the deli, and I was in the grocery.  I was zipping through the candy aisle, and something caught my eye: the word JESUS, which seemed oddly out of place.  I stopped and examined the item: it was a box of Christian lollipops for distribution on Halloween, each wrapped in a cute little paper decorated with a pumpkin, bearing the legend: JESUS SAID: I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.

 

 

Aha.  I’ve heard of this.  Jesus-ween, right?  It’s an evil holiday, so let’s Christian it up.  You don’t see it much here in pagan / Catholic Rhode Island, where people often allow the Virgin Mary to camp out year-round in a bathtub on their front lawn, but it’s an interesting phenomenon.

 

 

So now Partner and I are done shopping and are rolling the cart out into the parking lot.  I am aware of Partner’s hearing difficulty; God knows I am hard of hearing too.   So I try to enunciate, as carefully as I can, as we walk: “They were selling lollipops with Bible verses on them, for Halloween.”

 

 

And Partner looks at me with total incomprehension and says: “Wally Cox?  Why did Wally Cox have Bible verses on him?”

 

 

Partner and I are the Burns and Allen of the Third Millennium.

 

 

Except I’m not sure which one of us is George and which one is Gracie.

 

 

I think we take turns.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment