Total Pageviews

Monday, July 2, 2012

Executives who bake!

Stack-brownies


The other day in the office, one of our Executive Directors leaned into my office and said, “There are brownies and pound cake down the hall, if you want some.”

 

 

“Well, that’s nice!” I said.  “From University catering?  Or did someone bake?”

 

 

“I baked,” he said shyly.  “Last night.”

 

 

As I said to some other people in the office, after tasting his brownies and pound cake: we really need to hire more executives like this.

 

 

His brownies were very rich and chocolaty. (Apollonia, the other day, tasting a generic catering brownie, said that it “tasted brown,” and I understood that completely).  Executive Director’s pound cake was the teensiest bit dry, but the chocolate chips mixed into the cake more than made up for it.   (Pound cake really needs something with it: whipped cream, fruit – you know what I mean.)

 

 

But imagine: an executive director in the kitchen, in the evening, after work, baking!

 

 

This guy is very nearly unbelievable.  He does things with his kids, he does heavy labor in his backyard, he bakes, he runs marathons –

 

 

I’m exhausted thinking about it.  It’s going on eleven p.m. as I write this, and I am listening to the Beethoven sonatas and feeling tired.  I am not baking, not playing football with my kids –

 

 

Ah.

 

 

I am thinking perhaps I should bake something complicated, just to validate my existence.

 

 

Galette aux pommes, anyone?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment