Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 8, 2012

For Sunday: Art Garfunkel sings "The Waters of March"

Waters_of_march


I have loved this song since the late 1970s and wanted to share it with you. I knew that it was written by Antonio Carlos Jobim, but had only heard it through this lovely unearthly Art Garfunkel version, from his album “Breakaway”; I did not know until recently that Jobim not only wrote the song, and the Portuguese lyrics, but the very allusive and strange English lyrics also.

 

 

I have always had very specific associations with the images here, and they’re kind of dark in places. When I hear: “A scratch, a lump / It is nothing at all,” I think of a cancer diagnosis, and someone lying to protect his loved ones from the truth. Guns are mentioned twice. Death is mentioned twice.

 

 

But the images in this video are much more varied, and brighter, than the ones in my head: the wild little fox, and the deer at the end of the road, and the stick, and the trees. They cheered me, and gave me a few goosebumps, when I watched this.

 

 

“And the riverbank talks / Of the waters of March / It’s the promise of life / In your heart, in your heart.”

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment