Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tough girls

Tina_turner_acid_queen


Apollonia and I were talking the other day (don’t ask me why) about Flavor Flav and Brigitte Nielsen.  “I like Flavor Flav,” I said.  “I wish I had the nerve to wear an alarm clock around my neck.”

 

 

“I like Brigitte Nielsen,” Apollonia said definitively.  “She’s – real.  She’s very real.”

 

 

“Well, she’s huge, that’s for sure,” I said.  “I remember the first picture I saw of her, right after she married Sylvester Stallone.  She was at least six inches taller than him, not counting the ostrich plumes she was wearing on her head.”

 

 

“But real,” Apollonia said definitively. 

 

 

Like Apollonia, I admire women who take charge. Brigitte, for example; can you imagine what that marriage must have been like?  (Not that Sly's not a scrappy little bruiser.  But still.)

 

 

Then there’s Grace JonesI remember her from one of the “Conan” movies as a terrifying-looking warrior. I also remember her from the Pee-Wee Herman Christmas special in the early 1990s, singing “The Little Drummer Boy,” swinging her arms and looking like a renegade android.

 

 

Also Tina Turner.  If you’ve never seen the movie version of “Tommy,” go watch it: Oliver Reed! Ann-Margret! But also, for a few scary minutes, Tina Turner as the Acid Queen, vibrating like you can’t imagine.

 

 

And let’s not even mention Cher (whom Partner and I saw some years ago here in Providence, and who was amazing, and who (I think) smiled at us).

 

 

I’m with Apollonia on this one. 

 

 

Tough girls: represent!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment