Total Pageviews

Monday, August 6, 2012

Whooping cough

Ljw_baby


Above is a picture of me at the age of five months, in December 1957. As you can see, I was fat and adorable.

 

 

A few months later, I was scrawny and miserable.

 

 

It was because the whooping cough (AKA pertussis). I almost died of it, because I became very emaciated and weak. I made it through; my body’s immune system apparently fought it off long enough to save me.

 

 

I was only six months old, so I don’t remember a thing about it, thank god, but it must have been pretty terrible. Imagine: you're coughing continually, and you can’t keep down food or water, and you can’t sleep.

 

 

But – again, thank god – nowadays there is a vaccine.

 

 

But people like the idiotic Jenny McCarthy are telling you not to give your children the vaccine. It might make your children autistic! (This is ridiculous, of course. But a lot of people will believe a pretty (aging) blonde celebrity before they’ll believe their own doctor.)

 

 

A few years ago, one of my student assistants told me that, in her public health class, they’d played a recording of a child suffering from whooping cough. This, she said, was the greatest incentive they’d found to encourage parents to have their children vaccinated; once they’d heard the horrible reality, they were willing to tell Jenny McCarthy to go to hell.

 

 

Here, for those of you who are tough enough, is the sound of a child with pertussis. This was the caption on the sound clip: "[The patient] is three years old, and has a very severe case of the disease. She only coughs like this five or six times a day.  She coughs until her lungs are empty of air and then you hear several whoops one after the other as she tries to take a breath in. She frequently finishes an attack with vomiting."

 

http://www.whoopingcough.net/cough-child-muchwhooping.wav\

 

 

Heard enough?

 

 

If you have children, and they’re not vaccinated, go get them vaccinated right away.

 

 

Don’t make them go through what I went through.

 

 

And tell Jenny McCarthy to go to hell.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment