Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Becoming a writer

Becoming_a_writer


Sometimes I ask myself: What do I want to be when I grow up? And the answer is always: I want to be a writer.

 

 

Writers are great. They lounge around in smoking jackets and smoke and drink, and somehow – magically – they produce poetry and prose and dramas. And then they smoke and drink some more.

 

 

Who doesn’t want that kind of life?

 

 

When I was younger, I wrote and wrote. I wrote bad short stories and abortive novels and really atrocious poetry. Worse: I got a few things published in small (very small) publications when I was in my twenties, which convinced me that it was only a matter of time. Smoking jacket, here I come!

 

 

But then I discovered that writing is hard work. Also, a little talent doesn’t hurt, and I began to wonder if I had any talent at all.

 

 

I have a friend who is a real writer, with several books (real books!) to his credit. He does not generally wear a smoking jacket. He works at a regular job, and has a family. He writes when he can: late at night, during odd moments in the day. But he never really stops.

 

 

Aha! I thought. I can do that, at least! I may not have any talent, but I have a huge amount of stubborn perseverance!

 

 

So I began this blog in 2010: one page a day. I have never missed a day yet. I’m a writer at last! Who needs a publisher? I can publish myself! I can edit myself! I can write about any damn thing I please, no matter how silly or irrelevant!

 

 

And here we are. I’m still producing the blog, a page a day, silent and grim as death.

 

 

I must be a writer by now, right?

 

 

Right?

 

 

Here’s Frank O’Hara’s “Autobiographia Literaria”:

 

 

When I was a child
I played by myself in a 
corner of the schoolyard
all alone.


I hated dolls and I
hated games, animals were
not friendly and birds 
flew away.


If anyone was looking 
for me I hid behind a 
tree and cried out "I am
an orphan."


And here I am, the 
center of all beauty! 
writing these poems!
Imagine!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment