Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 23, 2013

The aging brain

Aging_brain

I used to love my brain. It was very dependable. It had tremendous capacity, and a very quick response time.

 

 

But all that has changed.

 

 

I began to notice it about two years ago, at the advanced age of fifty-three. Proper names were suddenly less easy to remember. Simple facts – Who starred in which movie? What do you call that thing you use to eat ice cream with? – were eluding me.

 

 

The pace of the decline has quickened. I was introducing two people to one another not long ago – people I knew very well – and I suddenly couldn’t remember one of their names. I tried to cover for myself, fumblingly. I admitted it to one friend later, and he just grinned. “I noticed,” he said. “You forgot my name!”

 

 

Thank god he thought it was funny.

 

 

I told my doctor about it, sure that he would say it was more-or-less-early-onset Alzheimer’s. He shrugged. “It’s the aging brain,” he said.

 

 

The aging brain.

 

 

Lovely.

 

 

It progresses. The other day, I looked at a regular analog clock with hour hand on two and minute hand on six. One voice in my head said: “Two-thirty.” And another voice, achier and feebler, said: “What in the hell is that thing?”

 

 

Time ticks by, and I get dimmer and dimmer, and more and more feeble.

 

 

It’s only a matter of time.

 

 

What were we talking about?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment