Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Buzzards

Turkey_buzzard


I walk to work most days – well, part of the way, anyway.  On the way, I cross the Point Street Bridge, which crosses the Providence River just as it flows out into Narragansett Bay.

 

 

A few weeks ago, I was walking across the bridge, observing the usual bird population: seagulls, ducks, cormorants.

 

 

Then, out of a bush in front of me, a huge bird rose. It flapped its wings lazily and flew away, its ass toward me, obviously unconcerned about me.

 

 

It was much bigger than a gull or a duck or a goose. Maybe a heron or a stork? They’re not uncommon here, except you don’t see them much in the winter.

 

 

But the mystery bird glanced back at me as it soared away, and its long beak was crooked.

 

 

Aha. A vulture, or a buzzard.

 

 

They also are not unknown here. There are communities that are plagued by them: they’re noisy and messy, and they eat garbage, and they crap garbage.

 

 

And in our neighborhood!

 

 

What is this, a Warner Brothers cartoon?

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment