Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Floating kidney

Floating_kidney

Gather round, children! Mama has another self-diagnosed illness!

 

 

So you know all about my kidney stones, blah blah blah. I was told a month or two ago that little can be done for them; they’re small, and they dissolve quickly, and there’s no medication to prevent them. The pain and discomfort I suffer is mild, and usually ibuprofen is enough to make me feel better.

 

 

But hm.

 

 

I took some very interesting Human Biology courses in college. My instructor was a remarkable woman who was a church organist, and city councilperson, and chief anesthesiologist at a local hospital, as well as teaching courses at Gonzaga. She was funny and energetic, and an excellent instructor. I remember a lot of what she taught me.

 

 

And suddenly, from back the mid-1970s, I remembered her saying something like this: “The kidneys are cushioned on layers of tissue. In some people – often when there’s weight loss – the kidney can move around. This can cause discomfort. It’s called floating kidney.”

 

 

No kidding.

 

 

I checked. Kidney stones normally don’t feel worse when you move around, but a floating kidney certainly does. Kidney stones aren’t normally relieved by lying down; my pain goes away when I lie down.

 

 

A lot of the other symptoms are the same: colic, upset stomach, etc.

 

 

So wait’ll I see my timid little doctor.

 

 

Do I have a few things to tell him.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment