Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rhode Island food; or, What the hell is a Wimpy Skippy?

Ri_food


I was meditating in the third-floor kitchen at the office the other day, staring out the window, when a refrigerator magnet caught my eye: CASERTA PIZZERIA. ORIGINATOR OF THE WIMPY SKIPPY.

 

 

Oh my God. I’d forgotten all about the Wimpy Skippy.

 

 

Now, tell me again: what the hell is a Wimpy Skippy?

 

 

Simple: it’s a spinach calzone with mozzarella, pepperoni, and black olives. Here’s the story of the W. S., told in Rhode Islandese by one of Da Guyz up at Caserta’s:

 

 

 

 

Listen: my local bakery makes spinach pies with mozzarella and pepperoni. So I don’t have to go traipsing up to Federal Hill to get one of theirs.

 

 

How about an Awful Awful? That was a Newport Creamery item: a giant milkshake, “awful big, awful good.” Their advertising slogan for it was the simplest possible phrase: “It’s a drink!” And best of all: if you drink three, you get one free.

 

 

And finally: the Jimmie Gimme. It’s an egg-and-ham sandwich (basically an Egg McMuffin) served at the Modern Diner in Pawtucket. It’s a little on the greasy side.

 

 

And don’t even get me started about New York System hot wieners. You can read all about them at this link.

 

 

(Why are we so obsessed with food? I’ve asked this question before, but I still don’t understand. Food’s necessary to our survival, but then again, so are air and water. We don’t talk about air all day long, or water. Why do we talk about food, and write books about it, and argue about it incessantly?)

 

 

(Heaven only knows.)

 

 

(Now let’s go downcity and get a Haven Brothers hot dog.)


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment