Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Java jive


Frank Bruni had an article in the Times recently about making the perfect cup of coffee.  He went from automatic drip to French press to Chemex (which spat boiling water into his eye) to something called the Hario system, which is basically like performing the Japanese tea ceremony every time you want a cup of coffee.

 

I love a good cup of coffee, especially after a nice dinner. My morning coffee, on the other hand, is liquid caffeine. To quote Bruni, it's “medicine.” I want it quick and easy. I don't care if it's not a gourmet delight.  At seven a.m., I am incapable of enjoying gourmet delights.

 

But it shouldn't taste like battery acid.

 

For a very long time I ground the beans every evening for the next morning's coffee. I hated the process, and finally I just started buying big drums of ground coffee, just like my mother did.

 

But Partner found a little tip online that actually helps.

 

If you use a automatic-drip machine, try adding a tiny pinch of salt to the ground coffee in the basket. No more than an eighth of a teaspoon or so.  It actually works!   It counteracts the bitterness, and it gives a nice mellow flavor.

 

It is the great discovery of our age.

 

If you try it, send me a dollar.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment