Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Multiblogging


I started this blog on Posterous.com, because two bloggers I read and respect (Mark Bittman and Seif Nechi) use the site. It turned out to be a good choice. It's versatile, and allows me to do a lot of interesting things, and it's relatively easy to use (I caught on to most of its subtleties within a week or two).

 

 

It also allows me, charmingly and altruistically, to post my blog to other websites. Bandwidth hog that I am, I chose five: Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, Tumblr, and Wordpress.

 

 

They are all very different places.

 

 

Facebook gives my friends and family an opportunity to see my blog. Eek! Do I want that? Sure. Why not? So what if my aunt Loretta sees my opinion of “RuPaul's Drag Race”?

 

 

Twitter – well, again, why not? I liked Twitter for a while, but I tired of it. It has become a relentless branding exercise for grade-B celebrities. I barely glance at it anymore; when I do, I find that my Twitter feed is clogged with Snooki and astronauts and comedians from Chelsea Lately, and most of them have very little to offer (well, the comedians sometimes).

 

 

Blogger and Wordpress are like Antarctica: frigid, windblown places. I don't think I get more than five or ten hits a day from both combined. I'm not sure what gets you noticed there, but whatever it is, I'm not doing it.


 

Tumblr is sort of a rebellious Facebook community of people who've formed their own pirate republic, full of animated GIFs and kitties and sunsets and swearwords. It's not all wasted space, to be sure. There are some real people there, and some real commentary, and some nice art. But you see the flashes of anger when someone unfollows someone, and you think – yikes! These people need to get out more!


 

But such is the Internet, my ducklings. A peculiar place, full of nooks and crannies, like a Thomas's English Muffin. A place for everyone.


 

Ouch! Someone just unfollowed me! How dare they! What the f***!

 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment