Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Travel is so broadening


Partner and I both like to travel, but not in the same way. Partner likes thinking about it, fantasizing about it, planning it. I loathe all of the foregoing. I'm a nervous person, and I'm never completely comfortable until I arrive at my destination. But we work it out somehow.


 

We get away for small trips from time to time: Boston, New York, Cape Cod, the Berkshires. We've gone to Ireland once, and to the Northwest several times (there's a Williams family reunion every summer, and it's kind of a hoot to see all the cousins, and Partner, bless him, puts up with it). The Northwest is very pretty: mountains, forests, ocean. But it's not my home anymore.  I love going, but it's a bittersweet trip for me.


 

Once in a while we go to northern New England. I'm partial to Vermont, especially Burlington: it's hippyish and small and cheerful, and Lake Champlain is beautiful, and none of the buildings are taller than a couple of stories. New Hampshire's okay, but it feels like a northward continuation of Massachusetts. Maine looks just the way it does in the tourist brochures.


 

But now retirement is looming, and (as I said) Partner likes to plan ahead. “Where do you want to go when we retire?” he keeps asking me.

 

 

I know what he wants me to say. He wants me to say Hawaii, Florida, Key West, Palm Springs, Palm Beach. He likes warmth and sun and SPF 1000.


 

I prefer unusual destinations. I also like screwing with people. “Mali,” I say. “Timbuktu. It's nice and sunny there, so you should like that. Besides, I always regretted that I never went to Timbuktu when I was in Africa.”


 

“They kidnap people there,” he says. “And then they eat them. Forget it.”

 

 

“Senegal,” I say.


 

“Malaria. Schistosomiasis.”


 

“Central Asia.”


 

“You've already been there. Also political unrest. Also bubonic plague.”


 

“Laos,” I say evilly. “Bolivia. Chad.”


 

“Never in a million years.”


 

So you see our fix.


 

Naturally I will get my way. But it will take time, and guile.


 

(I hope he doesn't read this.)

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment