Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Student employees

Collegestudent

I posted some student jobs recently, and have been reading the applications. I am bemused, as always.


Some thoughts:


  • I would describe myself in a lot of different ways, but not as “ebullient.” God knows I'm not ebullient, but even if I were, I would be shy of applying the word to myself.
  • Ditto “gregarious.” There are a lot of ways of saying this: “I'm a people person.” “I work well with others.” For me, “gregarious” connotes a large hearty man in a tweed jacket at a New Year's Eve party, his arms around his friends, singing “Auld Lang Syne.”
  • “I have awesome skills.” As do we all. To me, it's awesome that I actually wake up alive and conscious every morning. But the phrase “awesome skills” better describes a ninja than a college sophomore.
  • “Affable.” Affable? Are you eighty years old? Do you belong to the Explorers' Club?
  • “I have experience with a wide variety of people and computers.” Really! And were the computers nice?
  • Best of all: “I make acute observations and have unique thoughts.” Hmm. Dorothy Parker? The Cumaean Sibyl? The Unabomber?


I may actually bring Awesome Skills into the office for an interview. One of the positions is largely customer-service: answering phones, greeting guests. And sometimes, a cheerfully over-the-top student is just the ticket to disarm a grumpy caller.


I hope, when I meet him/her, he/she is affable, and gregarious, and makes acute observations, and has unique thoughts, and is generally awesome.


Because – you know what? Most of my student employees have been all of the above so far.


Here's hoping.



No comments:

Post a Comment