Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday blog: Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers sing "Roadrunner"

51bvh86iirl


Have I never put a Jonathan Richman song here?

 

 

Well, we need to remedy that.

 

 

I learned to love Jonathan (and his ever-changing backup group, the Modern Lovers) when I was in graduate school in the late 1970s. Two of my friends were heavily into obscure music, and they worshipped at Jonathan's feet. I listened to some of the albums, and soon I was a convert too.

 

 

If you don't know Jonathan: you know that odd-looking guy in the movie “There's Something About Mary,” who keeps showing up in odd places and singing the theme song? That's him.

 

 

Jonathan writes songs mostly about a few things: falling in love with girls, living in New England, cars, childhood, and rock 'n roll. This song combines at least three of those, and you could argue that the others are in here too.

 

 

Oh, and incidentally: Rolling Stone ranked this song #269 on their list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.

 

 

One two three four five six -

 

01_Roadrunner.m4a Listen on Posterous


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment