Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Charitable gifts

Chickens-thumb


Looking for holiday gift ideas?

 

 

So am I.  It’s only December seventh, and I’m already worn out. 

 

 

For Partner, and for friends like Patricia and Apollonia and George and Joanne, it’s easy.  I know them all well enough to know what they’d like and what they’d appreciate.

 

 

For the bottom-of-the-list people – the ones you have to buy something for – there’s always candy and liquor.

 

 

But what do you do about the middle of the list?  You know who I mean. 

 

 

Well, take a look at the list compiled by Nicholas Kristof.  

 

 

I’m often mistrustful of charities.  I’m never sure how much money actually gets to the people whose sad pictures appear on the websites and in the literature.  But Nick Kristof vouches for these particular charities, and he’s a good liberal Oregon boy, and that’s good enough for me.

 

 

I like the idea of giving a duck, or a pair of glasses, to someone whose life will be changed by the gift.  I like againstmalaria.com especially; every five dollars buys a mosquito net, and malaria is a horribly serious problem – far more serious than most Americans realize. Also, it’s a highly-rated charity, which uses an amazing 100% of its gift receipts to buy nets.

 

 

See?  You don’t have to give them a Sonicare toothbrush or a Target gift card after all. 

 

 

You can give them a whole flock of chickens.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment