Total Pageviews

Monday, December 12, 2011

Playing cards are the work of the Devil

220px-rws_tarot_15_devil


I have been selling a few odds and ends on eBay lately.  One item was a nice quirky deck of Tarot cards; I got a neat ten bucks for it, and raced to the post office to mail it off to the buyer.

 

 

I can never remember the rules governing Media Mail, and I was shy to tell the lady behind the counter what was actually in the package, so I told a white lie.  “Playing cards,” I said.  “So is it Media Mail?”

 

 

She pondered for a moment, then hollered over her shoulder: “Hey, Steve!  Playing cards.  Media Mail or not?”

 

 

Steve, a skinny bearded man, stuck his head out of the back room.  “Cards are the work of the devil.”

 

 

We all had a good laugh over that one.  “Well,” I said, “that one answers itself.  It can’t possibly be Media Mail.”

 

 

“Yeah,” the lady behind the counter said.  “Imagine if they were Tarot cards!  That’d really be the work of the devil.”

 

 

Now, what voodoo inspired her to say that?  But I stuck with my original lie.  “You can use them for telling fortunes, I suppose,” I said.  “And gambling, and wasting your time with solitaire.  All of which are the devil’s work.”

 

 

I ended up paying $6.20 for Priority Mail.

 

 

Hail Satan!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment