Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Talking to myself

Count4


The other day I was getting up from my office desk to get an eleventh cup of coffee while muttering to myself.  Just as I got to my office door, a co-worker passed by and glanced at me, and I was pretty sure she could see my lips moving.  Embarrassed, I laughed explosively.  “I was talking to myself,” I said to her as we walked down the hall, “and you caught me.  I’ve always been afraid that this might happen.”

 

 

She laughed.  She’s a cool one, very wry.  “Loren,” she said, “you are always talking to yourself.”


 

O dear me.


 

Yes, I suppose I am.  I talk to myself during the entire walk to work, which is anywhere from fifteen to thirty minutes.  I know I wave my arms when I talk, too; I’ve caught myself doing it.


 

It’s useful.  I recite information, and list things to myself, and practice difficult office conversations, and tell myself jokes, and run the my day’s agenda.  I sing, and I pray (which is especially interesting, given that I’m mostly an atheist).  I have conversations with Partner, although (obviously) he isn’t there to speak for himself.  I recite poetry. 

 

 

Obviously I am losing it.  It’s getting worse; I used to pretend that people didn’t notice, but I can’t make that assumption anymore.  I am a crazy old geezer who talks to himself, that’s all.

 

 

But maybe it’s useful.  Most of the people in the office are under forty years old; a good percentage are under thirty.  They’re wary of old folks.

 

 

Maybe I’ll start muttering to myself even more than I do now.


 

If it alarms them: good.   Anything to keep them off-balance.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment