Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday offering: "Have A Little Talk With Jesus," sung by Loretta Haggers / Mary Kay Place

Mkpbowling


I mentioned Mary Kay Place a few weeks ago, and her stint as the wannabe country singer Loretta Haggers on “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.”  She actually cut an album in the late 1970s in character as Loretta, called “Live At The Capri Lounge”; she sings a couple of songs from the TV show, but she also sings a variety of country / gospel numbers, and she actually has a pretty good voice. 

 

 

This number has stuck in my mind for years: I love the gradually accelerating chugga-chugga rhythm, and I love the little fast-talking auctioneer thing that Mary Kay / Loretta does a couple of times during the song. 

 

 

And I do believe that’s Emmylou Harris doing backup vocals for her.


 

(Note: if the sound is bad, it’s because I pulled this from the actual LP.  For some reason, this album is unavailable on both Amazon and iTunes.  As RuPaul would say: Escandalo!)

 

 

have_a_little_talk_with_jesus.mp3 Listen on Posterous



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment