Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Recipe: Ricotta cookies

 

 

Lemonricottacookies3

 


It’s nice to add a new recipe to the repertory.  This is a nice pleasant cookie – soft, sweet but not too sweet, with gentle overtones of vanilla and lemon – and a nice sugary (but not overbearing) glaze on top.  (You can decorate them with colored sugar if you are so moved.  I thought about it, but didn’t bother.  They’re very good as is.)

 

 

I found this recipe in one of those local magazines that you pick up for free – something like “Rhode Island Local,” I forget.  It was in an ad for Supreme Ricotta, a local brand.  It looked interesting and simple, and like nothing I’d ever made before.  I made a batch for Partner and myself as a test – and, believe me, Partner pulls no punches where baked goods are concerned – and these passed the test.  I will bake more of these in future.

 

 

(Postscript: I described this recipe to Apollonia and she cried, “Egg biscuits!  You moron, you’ve rediscovered the recipe for egg biscuits!”  Yes, of course they are, I knew I recognized them from somewhere.  They’re a traditional Rhode Island recipe.  It’s nice to be able to make them at home, though.)

 

 

Herewith the recipe:

 

 

-        ½ cup (one stick) butter, softened

-        1 cup sugar

-        1 egg

-        1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

-        1 cup ricotta (I used Stop & Shop, but use what you like, or what you can find)

-        The zest of one lemon (the original recipe called for lemon extract, but the zest is nicer, and gives you a chance to scrape the skin off several of your knuckles)

-        2 cups flour

-        ½ teaspoon baking powder

-        ½ teaspoon baking soda

-        Powdered sugar

-        Milk

 

 

1)     Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2)     In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar.

3)     Add egg and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.

4)     Add ricotta and lemon zest.  Mix for one minute.

5)     In a separate bowl, combine flour with baking powder and baking soda.

6)     Add flour mixture to ricotta mixture, and mix well.

7)     Drop in teaspoonsful on a cookie sheet.  (Do yourself a favor, invest $2.49 in a roll of parchment paper.  Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.  You’ll never regret it.  Nothing will ever stick again.) 

8)     Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until cookies are brown on the bottom (they took almost exactly nine minutes in my (very fast) oven). 

9)     Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.  Ice them with a mixture of powdered sugar and milk (only a few drops of milk for maybe two or three tablespoons of powdered sugar, mixed in a small bowl).  A few drops of icing are enough for each cookie; it’ll spread around.

 

 

 

Makes 3-4 dozen cookies, depending on how generous you were with the cookie dough.  I like them a little smaller; they’re easier to deal with later, and you can get more of them on a cookie sheet.  (By the way, I’ve reduced the original recipe by half.  What were those people thinking of?  We don’t have ten kids each anymore!  However: Partner and I polished off a plate of 30+ cookies in about two days . . . . )

 

 

Also – hippie alert! – I used soy milk in the icing.  It was very nice.

 

 

Don’t say I never done you no favors.  This recipe is one.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment