Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Learning to read again

Fairy-lying-down-reading-a-book-131-p


I’ve written about rediscovering the Providence Public Library. I go at least once a week, sometimes twice. It’s quiet and lovely, especially the book stacks (most people go to use the computers, which are right in front; there’s also a nice first-floor children’s section, and the librarians are universally cheerful and funny).

 

 

I check out at least a book a week.

 

 

And, almost by accident, I have learned to read again.

 

 

Funny: I have a room full of books, literally lined with books. I am always pulling them down, looking up things, lending them to people. But I am not adding new books to the mix. (I do, of course; it’s a lifetime habit. But I buy books and put them on the shelf without reading. That’s terrible.)

 

 

But now I am checking out books I do not own from the library, and there is a date stamped in them, and if I do not return them by that date, I will be charged – I don’t know – five cents a day.

 

 

I hate being late.

 

 

So I read. I read novels, and screenplays, and radio scripts, and short stories. I have put things aside because they’re not very good. I have reread things.

 

 

I’m beginning to fall into a routine: one weekend day (either Saturday or Sunday, whichever has the crappier weather), with a book and a glass of seltzer water. I lie down, and I read.

 

 

I’d forgotten how lovely this is.  I can turn pages as quickly or as slowly as I please. If a book bores me, I can throw it aside. I can speed through a chapter or a section if it’s not wonderful. I can linger over things. I can reread things a few days later!

 

 

And I can lie down while doing it!

 

 

I find that I now (more than recently) have ideas in my head. Now, where could those have come from?

 

 

I have been more relaxed lately, too. To be fair, it might be my medication. But books are medication too. I’d forgotten how consoling they can be.

 

 

As W. H. Auden said in “For The Time Being”: “You will come to a great city that has expected your return for years.” 

 

 

It’s good to be back.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment