Total Pageviews

Monday, October 29, 2012

Montmartre

Montmartre


Our very first day in Paris – though we were both still deathly weary from the plane flight – we went, on foot, up into Montmartre.

 

 

 

(This seemed appropriate to me, since my favorite composer, Erik Satie, used to walk back and forth between le Chat Noir (the Montmartre bar in which he worked as a cabaret pianist) and his home in Arcueil (south of Paris) every day. He drank his way from bar to bar on both trips, and he carried a hammer in his pocket, just in case he was attacked on the way.)

 

 

 

So we climbed Montmartre. It was a brilliantly sunny early-autumn day. Partner knew the way, as he’d visited it several times on Google Earth, and he amazed me; he knew exactly which streets to take.

 

 

 

We ended up in front of Satie’s house on the Rue Cortot:

 


Satie_house_cortot

 

 

 

Next door is the Musee de Montmartre. It is a huge rambling old house, in which Renoir worked, and Suzanne Valadon and Maurice Utrillo lived, and Aristide Bruant, and many others.

 

 

 

It is beautiful. All of Paris is laid out at your feet. Look:

 

 

Img-20121004-00502

Partly we were still dazed and jet-lagged. But partly also we were wandering in an earthly paradise. If I didn’t have a photographic record of it, I’d swear it was a dream.

 

 

 

Two of my friends in Tunis used to call me “Hajj” as a joke; it’s the title of respect given to a man who’s visited the Holy Sites in Mecca.

 

 

 

Well, I’ve earned the title, because Montmartre is my Holy Land.

 

 

 

But don’t call me Hajj.

 

 

 

Call me Monsieur Hajj.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment