Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Scaling back

Img_1449_stuck-on-treadmill-prank1


I joined the local health club in 2008, when it first opened. I had never belonged to a health club before. I discovered quickly that I enjoyed it; I liked the feeling of trying to be healthy, and I liked watching cute guys work out in front of the big mirror on the fitness floor.

 

 

Now, almost four years later, at $55/month, I’m still there.

 

 

I know that’s expensive. But it keeps me anchored there: if I were paying less (WorkOut World charges $10/month!), I wouldn’t go very often, and wouldn’t be very motivated. At a much higher price, I am only too anxious to make good use of my purchase.

 

 

I experimented with everything in the place, at first. I tried the circuit machines, but they were too heavy for me (even at very light poundages), and I felt like a wimp. I tried freeweights: same thing. I took some sessions with a trainer, but he was silly and vain and spent most of our time together talking about how wonderful he was.

 

 

After a year or so, after much experimentation, I started doing just the treadmill: half an hour, at 4.7 miles per hour, at a 15% elevation. If I set the treadmill for my weight (around 160 pounds) and age (around 55 years old), it comes out to around 500 calories, which is perfect for me.

 

 

For three years I’ve kept this up. For the past year or two, I’ve done it maybe five or six times a week.

 

 

But lately – with the kidney stones, and my advancing age – I found it a little laborious.

 

 

So, a few weeks ago, I experimented with the settings. I find that I can still burn 500 calories at 4.0 miles per hour, at an elevation of 15%, in approximately 32.5 minutes.

 

 

I don’t sweat as much. My heart rate, which used to go up to 140 or 150, now stays at a more age-appropriate 130. I’m only slightly more bored, because I’m on the machine slightly longer. (I’m usually there in the evening, during “Jeopardy!” / “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” so I manage to keep myself amused.)

 

 

But I am slowing down. Noticeably.

 

 

Back when I started in 2008/9, I was proud of the fact that I could get my heart rate up to a dangerous 155/minute.

 

 

I am not so much proud of this anymore. I think getting my heart rate up to 130 or so is quite sufficient.

 

 

(Oh I am getting old.)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment