Total Pageviews

Monday, July 29, 2013

Fedora versus trilby



One wet evening in Paris last October, I impulsively bought a jaunty little hat to protect my pointed little head from the rain. It cost, I think, seven or eight euro.


Three-quarters of a year later, I still wear it, almost every day. I adore it. It’s a nice daily reminder of our time in France, and I am foolish enough to think I look cute in it.


Then I saw this on Tumblr:









Strike me dead! I’m wearing a damned trilby.


So hipsters are turning on themselves now. A trilby won’t do; evidently you’d better wear a fedora (so long as you’re wearing a suit, or if you’re Humphrey Bogart or Frank Sinatra, or if you’re Indiana Jones, or a really cool hipster).


How does the cool fedora differ from the uncool trilby? Fedoras are bigger. The fedora has a higher crown than the trilby, and a wider brim. The trilby’s brim is generally turned down in front.  Both are named after women, by the way.  “Fedora” – the Russian “Theodora” – was the title character of a Sardou play of the late 1800s; “Trilby” was the name of a novel by George du Maurier (featuring the evil hypnotist Svengali). When “Trilby” was dramatized in the early 1900s, the lead actress wore a smart little hat with the brim snapped down in front.


Anyway: the disagreements of hipsters are endless. What are we supposed to wear?


I don’t care. In fact, I have never cared. I don’t care if I look like hell. I like bright colors, and comfortable clothes.


And I like my little hat.


And I think “trilby” is a cute name for a hat.


And I think I’m pretty cute too:





5 comments:

  1. Its ok to wear a hat like that if it fits you and you mister look amazing with your trillby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are really adorable, too! This post really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, cheers for the post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear one too. A black one. I don't care what the hipsters think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not against trilby per say, but every time some retard saing something about my fedora in contex of "club" "acid-house" or "hipster" i'm totally raging

    ReplyDelete