Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Repeating myself





I’m always looking for ideas for these blogs. Sometimes they come thick and fast, and other times not so much. The other day I telling someone about my childhood in the Northwest, and the eruption of Mount St. Helens, and it hit me: what a good idea for a blog!


Thank goodness I check myself from time to time. It turns out I wrote about St. Helens back on July 13, 2011.


Goodness! I almost repeated myself!


But we repeat ourselves all the time. We create our own mythologies, and refine them. I watched my mother do it over time: she repeated her childhood stories over and over again, and they evolved subtly over time, becoming more and more flattering to herself and her family.


I leave it to you to wonder how much of my material is real and how much is – ahem – refined.


Because I freely admit that I am my mother’s son.





No comments:

Post a Comment