Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Signs of hope




I was delighted back in September to hear that Jon Stewart was setting up his own rally à la Glenn Beck. I was in a doctor's waiting room and the TV was blaring out the usual nonsense, and I overheard the news item, and I turned my head in time to see a clip of Stewart holding up a sign: I DISAGREE WITH YOU, BUT I DON'T THINK YOU'RE HITLER.

I was sold on the event right there and then.

Later I became worried. The pundits all predicted that Stewart had jumped the shark, he was going to be humiliated, he'd gone too far -

Gosh. Everything turned out okay. Even the pundits (most of them) thought so.

Stewart and Colbert are smart. Blazingly, blazingly smart. Far smarter than any of us (even me) give them credit for. Do you agree, Tucker Carlson?

At any rate, I shouldn't have worried.

I love everything I've seen and heard of this rally. I love the signs, and the acts (Yusuf Islam / Cat Stevens duetting with Ozzy Osbourne!), and the jokes (Colbert ranting about Muslims, and then realizing that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a Muslim!).

And the signs!

The one I've used as an illustration here is my very favorite. It's rich. It's a deliriously funny play on – what? The (many) misspellings seen on the Tea Party signs. The use of the Bible to justify everything. The use of Jesus to justify everything.

And it hits at a real problem that I've always had with the New Testament.

What in the hell was so terrible about that particular fig tree?



No comments:

Post a Comment