Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving blog: Thank you


In the spirit of Thanksgiving: the last few stanzas of Kenneth Koch's wonderful early poem “Thank You.”

***

. . . Thank you for the chance to run a small hotel
In an elephant stopover in Zambezi,
But I do not know how to take care of guests, certainly they would all leave soon,
After seeing blue lights out the windows and rust on their iron beds –
I'd rather run a bird-house in Jamaica:
Those people come in, the birds, they do not care how things are kept up . . .
It's true that Zambezi proprietorship would be exciting,
with people getting off elephants and coming into my hotel,
But as tempting as it is I cannot agree.
And thank you for this offer of the post of referee
For the Danish wrestling championship – I simply do not feel qualified . . .

But the fresh spring air has been swabbing my mental decks
Until, although prepared for fight, still I sleep on land.
Thank you for the ostriches. I have not yet had time to pluck them,
But I am sure they will be delicious, adorning my plate at sunset,
My tremendous plate, and the plate
Of the offers to all my days. But I cannot fasten my exhilaration to the sun.

And thank you for the evening of the night on which
I fell off my horse in the shadows. That was really useful.



No comments:

Post a Comment