Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Memory loss




I used to have a spectacular memory. I remembered everything: names, dates, facts, what I’d read, and on which page I’d read it.


This made me a little hard to live with. I was always reminding people that they were wrong about this and that (mostly unimportant details).


I never forgot grudges. I never forgot slights.


Now, with age, my memory is dulling. Proper nouns are going most quickly of all, for some reason: names, places, and such.


But other things are going too.


And this is not perhaps such a bad thing.


I regret that I don’t have lightning recall as I used to. For one thing, this ruins my chances to ever be a game-show champion. I’ve been trying out for Jeopardy! for years, and they keep bringing me in for screen tests, and – you know? – one of these days they’ll put me on the show, and I’ll be babbling and drooling in the corner because I can’t remember the name “Miley Cyrus” or “Thomas Edison.”


Oh dear.


But here’s the bright side: I don’t remember the slights and the grudges anymore either. I was recounting some of the more extraordinary office affairs and scandals the other day – and there have been some beauties! – and I couldn’t remember the name of one of the people involved. Which is probably a good thing: the whole scandal happened in 1994 or so, and I think one of the participants has since passed away.


I haven’t forgotten most of the happy things. I remember good times, and cheerful occasions. I remembered a funny story about two people in the office having a relationship, and they were cute and funny, and I remembered both their names, and everything about them, twenty years later. They were nice.


So I’m going tapioca in the brain, but maybe in a good way.


What was your name again?


No comments:

Post a Comment