Total Pageviews

Monday, June 17, 2013

The most trusted people in America




Partner and I subscribe to quite a few peculiar periodicals: Consumer Reports, Conde Nast Traveler, the Vegetarian Times, Mother Jones.


But I do believe that Reader’s Digest is the most peculiar of all.


Decades ago, I loved Reader’s Digest. My sister Susan used to renew my subscription year after year as a birthday gift, and I loved it. I actually learned from it. I remember whole chunks of things I read in it. My god, back in the 1960s, they did a summary version of “The Naked Ape”!


Times have changed. It’s a conservative publication now. They print 100% American articles about Our Troops, and Everyday Heroes, and What Your Doctor Won’t Tell You.


Recently they did an article on the Most Trusted People in America. O dear god, such a list they did! Evidently Tom Hanks is the most trusted man in America. Why, for god’s sake? I’m sure he’s a perfectly nice man, and he’s been in some good movies (and some stinkers, like “Joe and the Volcano”). But “trusted”? For Jesus’s sake, why?


Also, evidently, we trust Alex Trebek, who recites trivia answers that he receives through an earpiece. Also Sandra Bullock, who is the female Tom Hanks. Also (most confusingly) several Nobel Prize-winners, two chemists and an economist, of whom I’ve never heard. How did they even get on the list?


The ridiculousness continues. Tony Dungy. Johnny Depp. Tim Tebow!


All of these rate above Barack Obama, by the way.


What is this “trust,” anyway? I actually read the article twice, to make sure I was extracting all of the vital information. It appears to have something to do with making us feel good, and making our brains release oxytocin. Evidently Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock make us release gallons of oxytocin.


What rubbish!


Get this, from the article:




Tom Hanks is universal? Tony Dungy is universal?


We have left Earth and entered a parallel dimension, in which Tony Dungy is more important than anyone you might know in your private life.


I suppose you’d better get used to it. Reader’s Digest says so, so it must be true.


No comments:

Post a Comment