Total Pageviews

Friday, June 7, 2013

Vacation Bible School






Neither of my parents was a churchgoer. We were, in general, scornful of people who went to church. I don’t recall why exactly.


But, about two weeks after regular school let out, the local church (a generic Protestant denomination) held Vacation Bible School for a week.


I went several times, and I adored it. I loved memorizing Bible verses, and making crafts with coffee-cans and macaroni and papier-mache, and eating lunch outside.


I even took it to heart once or twice. One of our memorization verses was Jesus saying “Fear not,” and I remember saying it to myself when I was frightened once or twice, and it helped, for some reason.


I was young and credulous. I liked the “school” part of this, and I wasn’t terribly receptive to the religion part, but then again maybe I was. Several of the Bible School teachers saw me as an eligible convert and gave me all kinds of books, some of which I still have: Bible guides and such.


Here’s my problem: I love the feeling of belief, but I don’t really believe the doctrine. I don’t believe that the creator of the universe entered into a man two thousand years ago, just to make a point. I don’t believe that Old Testament doctrine is superior to any other religion doctrine (although some of it is very profound).


I miss the calm serene feeling that Vacation Bible School gave me, when everything was nice and orderly.



But I’m afraid I’ll never be able to feel that way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment