Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Bad news, part two




It’s hard, having to tell the same story over and over again. I knew at the outset, when I was diagnosed with cancer (a whole entire week ago!), that I didn’t want to keep it a secret. People (especially people you know and care about) need to know when you’re sick, and they also need to know that cancer isn’t necessarily always a death sentence. (Also, I knew people would gossip, and, since I’m gay, I assumed they’d assume this had something to do with AIDS, and I wanted to give them the correct information, just in case.)


I understand a little better now, however, why some people keep this kind of information a secret.


It’s very tiring to tell people every day how you’re doing. It’s also very time-consuming. I appreciate the consideration, but – my goodness! One day is much like the day after. If I was okay yesterday, probably I’m still relatively okay today. If I was miserable yesterday, well, probably you’d be doing yourself a favor not to ask me how I’m doing today.


And we’ve barely begun this process yet!


My friend Cathleen suggested a code system: putting up something on my office door that would tell people how I’m feeling. This made me think of these faces:






I may resort to something like this in a month or two, when I’m in treatment and am feeling tired and hopeless.


But for now I can tell you with my own words how I feel.


I feel okay. I have a little pain in my throat – nothing more than a mild soreness – where the tumor is located. I’m depressed, of course, and I’m trying very hard not to project too far ahead.


I’ve decided that every day without serious discomfort is a good day.


So today is a good day.


Thank Buddha / Allah / Jehovah / whomever you prefer.




No comments:

Post a Comment