Total Pageviews

Monday, September 9, 2013

Bad news



I wrote a while ago about the lump in my throat.


Well, guess what? It turned out to be serious after all.


I will be starting various kinds of treatment soon: radiation almost certainly, and probably also chemotherapy.


It’s only been a few days, and already Partner and I have been through a whirlwind of emotions. You probably know Elizabeth Kubler-Ross’s five stages? We’ve done them all three times over, in two days: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.


I hate this, kids.


I have an indicator on the wall of my office that indicates I’ll be retiring in the year 2040, and I point it out to new employees, just to show them that I’m not going anywhere.


I hope that I’m telling them the truth.


I am going to try very hard to beat this, kids. I already have four doctors – a GP, an ENT, an oncologist, and a hematologist. And heaven knows what I’ll go through, between radiation and chemotherapy and the illness itself.


Heaven only knows.


I know only a few of you personally, but (just so you know): I love you all very much.


(I’m trying to be pragmatic.)


Let’s get on with this silly treatment stuff (over the next six months or so), and then let’s get on with normal life again.


For my sake, and for Partner’s sake, most of all.




No comments:

Post a Comment