Total Pageviews

Monday, September 30, 2013

George Lois asks: Can you do better?




George Lois was a real Madison Avenue adman from the 1950s and 1960s, and after. He wrote a book some years ago called DAMN GOOD ADVICE, which is a memoir / self-accolade / idea book.


It’s a good read, and a funny one. I recommend it.


(Incidentally: if you watch “Mad Men,” you will be interested to know that George Lois is rumored to be the model for Don Draper, the main character in the series. George, in his book, hotly denies it. “And besides,” he says, “I was more attractive!”, and shows this picture:






(So what do you think of someone who says: “That’s not me! And besides, I was more attractive than that!”? Hmm. I know what I think.)


Anyway: the book is full of good stories.


This one nags at me frequently:


A bigwig goes into a bar and says to the bartender, “Give me the best Manhattan you can make.”


Bartender does so, and gives it to Bigwig. Bigwig tastes it. “It’s good,” he says. “Can you do better?”


Bartender tries again. This goes on for several repetitions. Finally, after sampling Manhattan #5 or so, Bigwig says: “This is excellent!”, and then he glares at Bartender. “Why the fuck didn’t you make it like this the first time I asked?”


I have no answer to that.


What does “best” mean?


And why don’t we do it all the time?



No comments:

Post a Comment