Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Slightly better news



Good news, first of all: my PET scan results have come in, and my cancer is confined to the left side of my throat; it hasn’t spread anywhere else in my body. (My hematologist / oncologist was actually giggling with excitement when she told me this. I think I love her.) This means that the radiotherapy can be focused very precisely in the area of the tumor, and I’m not so far along as to be incurable.


It’s barely two  weeks since I learned I have cancer, and I have learned so much!


For example:


·        One of the most effective chemotherapy drugs, cisplatin, is very dangerous for people (like me) with hearing loss. It can make us lose our hearing entirely, or cause lifelong tinnitus. I’ll be taking the milder carboplatin instead. (Imagine having a platinum-based drug infused into your body! I’ll be worth a fortune!)
·        Another, taxol (which I’ll be taking in low doses) causes hair loss and some neuropathy (mostly numbness and tingling) in some patients. I’ll be sure to take pictures of myself during the process, if I become especially shaky and peculiar-looking. You can all have a good laugh.
·        Radiation to the throat makes the whole area sore. I won’t be able to drink for the duration; it will sting too much, and probably also interfere with the various treatments and medications I’ll be taking. Bugger!

But mostly I have learned that this whole thing is ridiculous.


I look over my doctors’ scribbed notes and I see things like “tonsillar cancer.” I have tonsil cancer!


Ridiculous.


Feeding tube? Ridiculous.


No drinking for the duration of the war? Double ridiculous.




And he was right. Most of our fears are really ridiculous.


If I can just keep repeating that particular spell for the next three months or so, I’ll be just fine.




No comments:

Post a Comment