Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Blood types



I have a moderately uncommon blood type: B-positive. Only about 8% of the American population shares it with me. Apollonia has O-positive, which is horribly common; Partner thinks he’s A-positive, which is also moderately frequent.


So I am more special than they are.


There are even rarer types. AB-positive is pretty rare, and as for AB-negative, only one-half of one percent of the American population has that one.


Back in the 1970s, I used to give blood on a regular basis. Why not? I’m a good citizen, and very altruistic.


But then, with the onset of HIV/AIDS, the government changed the rules. Gay men are no longer welcome to give blood in the United States, if we have ever been sexually active.


At all.


O my!


Many countries have changed this rule. In some countries, they ask about how sexually active you’ve been. In the United States, it doesn’t matter. If you’re a man who’s ever had sex with a man, they don’t want you to give blood.


This is a shame, because my B-positive blood is desirable.



It’s also ridiculous, because they test blood now to see if there’s anything dangerous in it, like HIV.


But still they won’t take my blood.




I want to give blood again.


I’m a B-positive who wants to help. And I’m pretty sure my blood is okay for public consumption.



No comments:

Post a Comment