Total Pageviews

Monday, September 23, 2013

Purple socks





You know I love purple. I have a couple of purple shirts, ranging in color from Concord grape to light lavender, with several shades in between. A long time ago I bought a lavender enamel star to wear on my lapel, and I told people it was a symbol for gay rights (this was before we had any kind of established symbols, so you could tell people anything and they’d believe you).


But never before did I have a pair of purple socks (see above). They’re pale lilac, with little nubs. Naturally they’re Italian.


Story: there’s a nice little men’s-clothing shop in our neighborhood called Milan. The clothes are beautiful, but they are far too highly-priced for my dollar-store lifestyle. Though their window I could see a lovely display of socks: lemon-yellow, pale lime-green, pale lilac. I have admired them out loud to Partner many times.


The other night Partner surprised me with a pair of lovely purple socks. He pretended that our little stuffed dog Blot Malloy bought them for me. This is Blot:





I ask you, does he look like he has the money to buy Italian socks?


Partner finally confessed that he’d bought them for me. I asked them how much they cost, and he wouldn’t tell me. “I’ll admit,” he said, “that they were more expensive than any socks I ever bought before.”


I wore them to work the very next day, in combination with black pants and a pale-lavender shirt. I showed them to a number of people, and they were dazzled. One even said: “And look! You’re wearing a purple shirt too!”


To which I replied: “Did you think that was a coincidence?”



No comments:

Post a Comment