Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Come out, come out


Some magazines I read for information. I read “Out” for fun.

 

 

It's not meant for my demographic, that's for sure. I am not so young nor so smooth-skinned as the men in most of the advertisements. But it's fun and glossy and colorful.


 

And sometimes interesting too.

 

 

A recent issue featured the 100 most important people in the gay/lesbian community. The (mostly wonderful) photos were themed in three groups: the Stonewall riots, Truman Capote's Black and White Ball, and Studio 54.

 

 

And the people!

 

 

In case you were wondering: we are everywhere. We are not just creating window displays and house music (though we do that too). We are in commerce, and politics, and entertainment. John Benjamin Hickey, the actor on “The Big C” who plays Laura Linney's homeless brother, is gay. Jasika Nicole, the quiet funny actress who plays Astrid, Walter's nanny/assistant on “Fringe” is a lesbian. Rostam Batmanglij, who writes pretty much all the songs for Vampire Weekend, is gay. Bruno Tonioli – well, I was pretty sure he was gay anyway, but it's nice to see him at the party. Mary Glasspool, the Episcopal Bishop of Los Angeles, is a lesbian. (I could have used a few more doctors and scientists and such on the list – heaven knows they're out there – but I can wait a few years.)

 

 

The modern scene is fairly teeming with examples of successful gay people. Every time I turn around, I see another good example. Partner showed me a recent Sports Illustrated article about a huge toothless item named Gareth Thomas, a member of the Welsh national rugby team, who is – get this – the only openly-gay male pro athlete in team sports in the entire world. He looks like the Incredible Hulk on crack.

 

 

And I am so proud to have him on my side.

 

 

Keep marching out of the closet, kids.

 

 

It does get better.


 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment